preparation h side effects – preparation h side effects suppository: Preparation H is a brand of over-the-counter (OTC) medication that is used to treat hemorrhoids. It is available in various forms, including creams, ointments, and suppositories. Although Preparation H is generally considered safe for most people, it can cause side effects in some cases. In this article, we will discuss the potential side effects of Preparation H, how to use it safely, and when to seek medical attention.
What is Preparation H? preparation h side effects
Preparation H is a medication that contains several active ingredients, including phenylephrine, mineral oil, shark liver oil, and petrolatum. These ingredients work together to reduce swelling, itching, and pain associated with hemorrhoids. Phenylephrine is a vasoconstrictor that works by narrowing blood vessels, which reduces swelling in the affected area. Mineral oil and petrolatum are lubricants that help to ease bowel movements and reduce the risk of further irritation.
Preparation H is available in several different forms, including creams, ointments, and suppositories. Creams and ointments are applied directly to the affected area, while suppositories are inserted into the rectum. The choice of form depends on the severity of the hemorrhoids and the patient’s preference.
Common side effects of Preparation H
Preparation H is generally considered safe and well-tolerated by most people. However, like any medication, it can cause side effects in some cases. The most common side effects of Preparation H include:
- Mild burning or stinging at the site of application
- Mild itching or irritation
- Dry skin or peeling
- Redness or rash
- Nausea or vomiting
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
If you experience any of these side effects, they are usually mild and should go away on their own within a few hours. However, if the symptoms persist or become more severe, you should stop using Preparation H and seek medical attention.
Less common side effects of Preparation H- preparation h side effects
Although rare, some people may experience less common side effects when using Preparation H. These include:
- Allergic reaction – this may cause symptoms such as hives, swelling, or difficulty breathing. Seek medical attention immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.
- Increased blood pressure – Phenylephrine, one of the active ingredients in Preparation H, can cause a temporary increase in blood pressure in some people.
- Anaphylaxis – this is a severe allergic reaction that can be life-threatening. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing, swelling of the face or throat, rapid heartbeat, or loss of consciousness. Seek emergency medical attention if you experience any of these symptoms.
- Changes in vision – Some people may experience changes in vision, such as blurred vision or difficulty focusing.
- Rectal bleeding – If you experience rectal bleeding while using Preparation H, stop using it immediately and seek medical attention. Rectal bleeding can be a sign of a more serious condition, such as colorectal cancer.
- Infection – Although rare, there is a risk of infection when using Preparation H. Symptoms of infection may include redness, swelling, warmth, or pus at the site of application.
If you experience any of these less common side effects, stop using Preparation H immediately and seek medical attention.
How to use Preparation H safely
To reduce the risk of side effects when using Preparation H, it is important to follow the instructions carefully. Here are some tips for using Preparation H safely:
- Wash your hands before and after using Preparation H to prevent the spread of germs.
- Clean the affected area with mild soap and water before applying the cream or ointment.