doxylamine side effects-Doxylamine is an antihistamine medication that is commonly used to treat insomnia, allergies, and cold symptoms. Like all medications, doxylamine can cause side effects, some of which may be serious. Some common side effects of doxylamine include:
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Urinary retention
Less common side effects of doxylamine include:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis)
If you experience any of these less common side effects, you should seek medical attention immediately.
It is important to follow the recommended dosage and use of doxylamine, as overuse or misuse of the medication can increase the risk of side effects. Additionally, doxylamine should not be used in combination with alcohol or other sedative medications as it can increase the risk of serious side effects.
- Drowsiness: Doxylamine is known for causing drowsiness, which is why it is often used as a sleep aid. However, this side effect can persist even after waking up, which can make it difficult to perform certain tasks, such as driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Dry mouth: Doxylamine can cause a dry mouth sensation, which can be uncomfortable and lead to other issues such as difficulty swallowing, bad breath, and an increased risk of tooth decay.
- Blurred vision: Some people may experience blurred vision or difficulty focusing after taking doxylamine, which can make it difficult to perform certain activities such as reading or driving.
- Constipation: Doxylamine can slow down bowel movements, leading to constipation or difficulty passing stool.
- Urinary retention: In some cases, doxylamine can cause difficulty urinating or even urinary retention, which can be uncomfortable and increase the risk of urinary tract infections.
- Dizziness: Doxylamine can cause dizziness, especially in older adults or those who are taking other medications that interact with doxylamine.
- Headache: Some people may experience headaches after taking doxylamine, although this side effect is less common.
- Nausea: Doxylamine can cause nausea, especially if taken on an empty stomach or in combination with other medications.
Less common side effects of doxylamine can be more serious and require immediate medical attention, such as confusion, hallucinations, seizures, irregular heartbeat, and anaphylaxis (a severe allergic reaction). It is important to speak with your doctor if you experience any side effects while taking doxylamine.